I consider activity on Google+ important for business owners. The real SEO and search benefits are however not achieved by updating your Google+ Business page, but rather your Google+ personal page.
So, how can you connect with others to start building your Google+ empire and improved rankings for your company website in the organic listings?
- Start by making sure the content you write is on target, on topic, and engaging.
- I use my Google+ page for business and not personal use. Consider doing the same for now.
- Work to actively add users to circles and respond when someone adds you to one of their circles.
- Click +1 and leave comments on posts you find interesting. You’ve simply got to spend some time.
- Consider starting a hangout. Well I am still thinking about that one, but have participated in several others and they can be fun. I have just not initiated one.
I personally find that for placement Google+ will be very important. As Google does not allow any automated or scheduled updates to be passed to your Google+ page, you will find the community of business people,legitimate, real and engaging.
Personally, I use Facebook for personal interaction on my locked down private page and Google+ as my face on social networks for business.