What’s the connection between citations and local ranking? Well, first Google uses citations which include your phone number and address for location specific ranking in the organic index.
Because citations are important to place for local searches here are some of my tips to assure that you do everything in your power on your website pages to try to place for location specific searches in your local area.
- Make sure you have your full address and phone number in your footer.
- Make sure to spell out your state and not use the abbreviation.
- Format your phone number either as 540-693-0385 or (540) 693-0385 and do not use . as separators. Google’s preferred use in AdWords is (540) 693-0385 for all instances that they call in phone numbers.
- If possible get local links that feature your website URL, business address and phone. I like the Chamber of Commerce for links like this.
- Make sure to claim your Google My Business and Bing My Business pages. These are great ways to also add your address and phone number.
- Make sure that you review online what your address and location shows. If it is incorrect, make attempts to correct the data.
Most businesses want local placement. Assuring that you are reference properly in citations around the web starts first with assuring that you have the information posted clearly on your own website.