Google is making a big push to include local business at the top of specific geographical search queries. In fact you can read the full thread from the Google Search blog if you would like. The bottom line is that you can pick up free placement and additional search traffic by making sure that where your business is located, you have set up a free Google Maps listings.
Here’s how you do it.
- https://www.google.com/local/add/login Visit this link to set up a Google Maps account. This will allow you to add your business, add address information, hours and payment types. You will be allowed to link to your website.
- Verify your address. Google will do this by snail mail. To verify that you have a business in the location that you state. No way to cheat on this one.
- When you get the postcard to verify your address you will receive a PIN. Go back to the Google Local/Maps interface and enter your PIN.
- In the next update your local listing information will be included. Sometimes as long as four weeks to update the Maps index.
- Make sure to tie your new listing to your Google AdWords account. Get additional free exposure and excellent CTR rates by setting up a Google AdWords local text ad once you have your local listing verified on Google. You simply pay for clicks and this is a great extension for your AdWords program.
Why not take advantage of the opportunity to appear at the top of all organic listings by having a Google Maps free listing in place?